I think it's time to officially say goodbye to the cassette tape. While I love the efficiency of mp3 players, there is something bittersweet about acknowledging the death of something that was such a big part of my adolescence. I made scores of mix tapes back in the day -- sad ones when I felt lovelorn, upbeat ones to play for driving fast in the car, all kinds, really. But finally, I've pretty much thrown out all my old tapes. I have nowhere to play them! I read in the New York times that only 4% of cars made in 2007 included tape decks. The auto industry has moved on, and I guess I have too.
I remember when Blockbuster got rid of all its VHS tapes and started carrying only DVDs. Now, even the existence of Blockbuster itself is passe; it's all about renting movies online! I'm a big fan of technology, but sometimes it feels like the world is changing too quickly.
4 comments:
I just had the same thought! I went into a Blockbuster a few weeks ago for the first time in about 5 years. It was the first time for my kids, they didn't really get the concept that we had to bring the movie back. I don't think I have any more cassettes and down to only a few VHS. It is sad, no more static mixed tapes pirated from the radio.
I LOVED mix tapes. I still have mine but no where to play them :-(
I even recorded my favorite radio station here and took the tape with me to college in Logan so I could listen to it.
Everyone looks wonderful! The boys are getting so big--even losing teeth! I love the blog and check it every day. Can you send me a jpeg of the picture of the family at Disneyland? It is the 14th picture in the slide show. I want to make it my desktop picture.
Hi Jen, I really have enjoyed keeping up with your Blog. Your mom sent me the sight and so I checked it out. Must say you have come along way from England when you were such a cute little girl.
I am looking forward to seeing your mom and dad the end of this month. Been a long time since we saw them. Last saw them and Brian in San Antonio about 17 years ago. You were in college I think and Trent wasn't around either at that time.
Your vacation looks like a great time was had by all. You and Brian sure have cute boys!! I know that your mom and dad really enjoy them.
Keep Blogging. Best wishes to you and your family. Maxine Whitney
Post a Comment