Friday, June 27, 2008
Summer Conference
I just spent four days of my summer at a conference for Advanced Placement teachers. As nerdy as it sounds, I had such a good time collaborating and learning from my peers. We had a very long, and very enlightening discussion about a single piece of punctuation from an Edward Arlington Robinson poem and its effect on the meaning of the work as a whole. I know it sounds insanely boring to some, but it was fun to me! An expert teacher from the College Board presented her ideas to us, and we also had time for shop talk amongst ourselves. Someone shared the website http://freerice.com/ with us. It offers vocabulary quizzes, and for each word you get correct, sponsors pay to donate rice to the UN World Food Program.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad to see you've opened up for everyone. Also glad to hear that you have something that is so fun for you even if it is likely so misunderstood by everyone else. Hooray for quirky pleasures!
I think all teachers are nerds at heart! Who else gets so much satisfaction from talking about things that so many others find boring!
Post a Comment