Sunday, May 3, 2009

Life Lessons

Ethan told me the day before it was due that he had to do a science project. This slacker approach to schoolwork is not usually like Ethan and completely foreign to the way I do things. I am a planner. I do not do well in last-minute or pressure situations. Ethan knew this was coming up for about a month, and he has yet to give a reasonable excuse as to why he neglected to mention it until the day before it was due.

As parents, Aaron and I had to decide how to proceed with the situation. Missing a 200 point assignment was not an option. Finishing it for late credit was a thought, but we decided to just bite the bullet and make Ethan do it in one night. That limited our project options, and Aaron had to run to the store for supplies. But we all just wanted to get it over with. Of course, there were consequences for Ethan beyond having to work all evening on his assignment. He was restricted from TV and video games for an entire week.

It ended up being a successful science experiment. Ethan learned about a Greek inventor and mathematician, Archimedes, and many of his creations and theories. He helped his dad build one of Archimedes' ideas for a water pump, using PVC pipe and clear tubing. Aaron did the cutting, but Ethan really did conduct the experiment and gather data and make a conclusion.

Aaron and I felt pretty good about our handling of the situation. Ethan's grade would remain solid, but he had to work fairly hard for it. Plus, he'd feel the pain of those restrictions from the things he enjoys so much. But our 'life lesson' that we tried to impart to Ethan about responsibility lost a lot of its heft when Ethan returned from school the next day, only to tell us he won first place amongst all third graders in the Science Fair!

So much for the lesson in the necessity of planning ahead and being a responsible citizen.


3 comments:

iambrianrice said...

I've met a mother like this before. Ours.

Nichole said...

haha! That is classic!
It is so hard to know what is "right" when it comes to being a parent. Looks like Ethan knows exactly what he is doing.

Kathryn e. said...

Reading that brought back a LOT of memories...I was just like Ethan much to the dismay of my parents. I waited until the last min for most of my projects, papers, assignments you name it...except for in your English class! The thought of going through all of that again with my kids makes me sick! Oh well what goes around comes around!